This course will challenge the next generation of leaders and entrepreneurs to think critically about how their personal values and principles inform the difficult decisions they will have to make as they grow their business. The course will first equip participants with frameworks to crystalize their own values and principles. Participants will learn to apply their own core values. A selection of readings and case studies will provide participants with tangible examples of the challenges other entrepreneurs have faced. Each class will be highly immersive, featuring conversations with entrepreneurial guest speakers and break-out sessions. Through conversations with case protagonists and each other, participants will leave the class more prepared to navigate the ethical dilemmas that they may encounter during their professional lives.
Target Groups: Students, Founders
Area of Focus: Leadership & Enablement
Next Date: October 24, 2023 - December 19, 2023
Times offered per year : Every Winter and Summer Semester
Duration: Participation in the workshop days are mandatory. You need to attend all case sessions and prepare the cases (questions in advance).
ECTS : 6 ECTS (accreditation depends on the study program, Campus TUM ID: WI001141)
Scope: 40h in class / + case preparation
Learning Goals: 1_Introduce a framework to help you personally and your company brave difficult situations 2_Enable you to begin to craft your own framework – personal and company 3_Discuss case examples and conduct exercises to help you on your entrepreneurial journey
- Difficult strategic decisions entrepreneurs face when building Startups and running companies
- How instilling values and principles improves decisions making
- The lens through which investors evaluate entrepreneurial companies
- The principles Angels and VC base their decisions
- As also taught at Stanford, learn from experienced founders ProGlove, inveox, 10x Founders, buecher.de, SevDesk, Groupon, vitafy and JOIN … how to make game-changing decisions for your venture and yourself
Workshop dates Winter Semester 23/24
All workshop dates are mandatory (for ECTS). You need to attend all case sessions and prepare the cases (questions in advance). See FAQ below.
Workshop dates are onsite & in person in Garching (UnternehmerTUM, Lichtenbergstr 6, room ANTON):
- October 24, 9:30 am - 4 pm
- October 30-31, 9:30 am - 4 pm
- November 13-15, 9:30 am - 4 pm
- all workshop dates are mandatory (for ECTS)
- final presentations December 12 and/or December 19, depending on the number of teams (time tbd)
"Dominik and I participated in the Principled Entrepreneurship seminar 3 years ago. We explored the huge potential of incorporating values and principles into our company early on. As our company has grown, principles have become the foundation for our teams behavior and decision making."
Maria Sievert, founder and Managing Partner at INVEOX
This course is open for aspiring entrepreneurs. Founding teams are welcome. Each of your team members needs to apply separately. Students who are interested in Venture Capital and decision-making of founders and investors are also welcome. Please indicate in the application.
Application for Winter Semester 23/24 is closed.
Join our waiting list for the upcoming semester and be the first to sign up for our courses!
What are the grades based on?
Grades (for ECTS) are calculated based on the weighted scores for the following deliverables:
- active participation in class (25%),
- answering the questions to the case assignments (25%)
- final presentation (25%) and
- written reflection paper (25%).
If you fail in one part you may repeat only the part in which you have failed in the running semester, not in the next semester.
Can I apply without a team?
Yes. If you are applying with a team, please make sure that all team members enter the identical name of your project. If you are a single/future founder mark "single".