At the Marketing Entrepreneurship Lab students get the opportunity to improve their marketing knowledge and apply it to a real world challenge. Support a Start-up of your choice with a course-related project in the areas of strategic marketing, market research, product launch, etc.
Target Groups: Students
Area of Focus: Business Design
Next Date: October 23, 2023 - January 8, 2024
Duration: See dates below
Scope: 180h (ca. 40h in class), students (possible in teams) search for a startup, decide and work on a marketing challenge
ECTS: 6 ECTS (accreditation depends on the study program, Campus TUM ID: WI000997)
Learning Goals: Have better understanding of marketing challenges and tools. Enable students to apply their theoretical knowledge about marketing and gain new capabilities in a professional and more practical direction by relating to real life startup marketing challenges. Equip student with practical skills beyond the traditional marketing curriculum and thus close bridge students with startup founders to better equip them for working in a startup.
The following topics are covered among others in the course:
- How do you create a marketing plan and decide on a strategy?
- How do you measure marketing effectiveness?
- The basics of public relations, storytelling, and social media marketing
- How to plan a start-up market entry?
- How to balance budget and goals?
- How to balance the business model and marketing?
- How to start a webshop?
- How to online market your product on search-channels, social media and with mail marketing?
- How to start a bootstrapped D2C brand?
- How to advertise & sell via Amazon marketplace?
Dates Winter Semester 23/24:
- October 23, 4-6 pm, online introduction session
- October 24 - November 7, team-up & search for a start-up & define a marketing challenge with the start-up
- November 8-9, time slot of 30 minute per team: present your challenge & start-up
- November 20-21 & November 27-28 (+ tbd Nov. 30), 9:30 am - 4 pm, in person workshop in Garching (mandatory!)
- November & December, teams work on marketing challenges
- December 11, online check-in with all teams, ca. 30 minutes
- January 8, presentation of all teams (mandatory) in Garching; submit reflection paper ahead
You have to apply for the course. The seminar is restricted to Master students. The number of participants is limited.
Application for Winter Semester 23/24 is closed.
Join our waiting list for the upcoming semester and be the first to sign up for our courses!
Is there an exam?
Yes, the exam is a result presentation and a reflection paper.
Individual reflection paper & team presentation & mandatory participation all 4 workshop days.
20% class discussion, 40% presentation, 40% reflexion paper.
Can I use my own start-up for the project?
We encourage you to apply with your own founding projects or start-ups to increase the impact on your marketing efforts.
If I don't have a start-up of my own, can I search for another one?
If you want to search for a start-up and marketing challenges from a start-up, we advise to have direct access to the founders. Being too far from the founders or marketing decision makers is too time consuming and might be frustrating.